Sunday, June 7, 2009

Favourite Tunes so Far - Bucky is in the Lead

It is still early in the season and many tunes have dropped. Some good and some not as good. There are two (2) songs which I liked instantly from the time their first notes played out of my car radio. Those tunes are "Wukking Up Is My Middle Name" by Bucky Wuk Up and "Chaos" by Blood (the artist formerly known as Young Blood). Apologies to Bucky if I spelt either his name and/or the name of him Crop Over offering incorrectly.

In the lead for favourite tune - Wukking Up Is My Middle Name

This song has many of those aspects which a layperson like the Sunflower looks for in a good crop over party tune. The song is:
  • Catchy
  • Memorable
  • Contains imagery
  • Has a great beat, and
  • High on the dance-ability meter

I just hope that it has staying power. As most bajans who follow kaiso know; if an artist brings out a hot tune in late May/early June; it has the potential to last for the entire season. (A good song can last for decades.) However, the tune also has the potential to be overplayed and become forgotten when another hot tune by a more popular artist hits the airwaves. Sad, but true.

So Bucky, I really wish you all the well this season. May your tune last until the end of August (or later).

One thing I'd like to say to Bucky: Boy you hit this nail on the head. When I heard this song I could think of many people I know for whom "wukking up" becomes their first, middle and last names during the crop over. Just call them Wuk up Wuk up Wuk up. There are many people I don't know who act as though their names have changed to the aforementioned also. I can see the following conversation occurring:

Guy meets girl at wet fete and asks: What is your name?

Girl replies: Jane Wuk Up Smith. What is your name?

Guy replies: John Wuk Up Jones.

It could happen. You see these people every year at the fetes, party monarch finals, in the calypso tents, and jumping down the street on Kadooment Day. They are everywhere during crop over and your song speaks to all of them. It can become their own personal anthem.

In crop over and in time of need

When this season was young

Our great kaiso men sowed the seed

From which this kaiso sprung

Wukking up is my middle name

Wukking up is my middle name

I 'in frighten, I 'in shame

Wukking up is my middle name

(Sung to the tune of the national anthem, them suddenly breaking out into Bucky Wup Up's tune.)

Running a close second - Chaos

This song has many of the aspects I listed above for a good party song. I think it is a great and classic Blood tune.

Whenever Blood gets his hands around a good melody and adds some slamming lyrics, the result is a song which can go all the way to the finals of Party Monarch or Pic-o-de-crop.

I don't expect Chaos to get lost when tunes by Lil Rick, Khiomal and others come out. This is because Blood knows how to handle a big tune, he is a veteran and can be referred to as a shareholder. He cut his eye teeth on "Sport Billy" and has not looked back since. He honed his craft during his many years as frontman for Square One and is very crop over savvy. So my prediction (early as it may) is that Chaos or another tune by Blood will make it to the Party Monarch finals.

To Blood, I also wish you all the best this season. I know you always put your best foot forward. Of you, much is expected.

The Road March and People's Monarch competitions are also other avenues which these two songs can take.

I am looking forward to hearing what else the kaiso men and women have in their repertoires this season.

(All those planning to jump please see my post titled Costume Band Revelry - Five Do's and Don'ts)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to break the news to you but number 1 has to be Salt's See Me and Don't See Me'.

    It has all of the above:-

    Catchy
    Memorable
    Contains imagery
    Has a great beat, and
    High on the dance-ability meter
    and best of all lyrics

    ReplyDelete