This show brought joy, letters and numbers to my life when I was but a small sunflower. It also brought humour and laughter. Those fellows at the Sesame Street Workshop did a lot more than that. By teaching Spanish, tolerance of grouches (which comes in handy), and respect for large creatures like Big Bird and Snuffy, they showed us a different way of life.
Back to the humour:
There are many Sesame Street skits which I still find hilarious today. Here are my top five (5), in no particular order:
1. Kermit and the Six Dollar Man.
Not the six million dollar man, the six dollar man, as in $6.00. Watch:
Hilarious. The $6 man destroys the lab. Did you catch Kermit hiding underneath the table? Priceless.
2. The Golden AN
In this skit, 2 crooks steal the golden "an" all the while using words which end or rhyme with "an". Of course, one of the crooks is not the brightest crayon in the box.
"I shudda ran" - brilliant.
3. Rebel L
What can I say about this one. It is superb. There is a muppet which looks like Billy Idol and a letter L who is very rebellious. It was all a little kid could ever want?
Of course this skit teaches about words starting with the letter "L". I really like the part when the really loud police woman turns up and starts singing.
4. There is a hole in my bucket
To view this classic video - Click HERE
My favourite line is when Liza says "any fool woulda known that". She has the best lines in this skit.
We are now at number 5
It is sooo hard to choose five (5) and I had great difficulty deciding on the fifth. It is a toss up between The Alligator King and his Seven Sons which is an absolute favourite of mine and Telephone Rock. As I can't choose, I have included both clips. Enjoy!!!
5. Alligator King and His Seven Sons
When I was little I tried my best to memorise this song and sing along with the skit when it came on.
My favourite lines come at the very end of the song:
Said the alligator king to his 7th son,5.1. Telephone Rock
My son, you win the crown.
You didn't give me diamonds or rubies,
But you helped me up when I was down.
Take the crown, its yours my son,
I hope you don't mind the dents.
I got it on sale at a discount store,
Cost me all of seven cents.
Now most people who watched this in the '80's are rocking their cell phones where ever they go. Blame it on Sesame Street.
Okay - so all of these are not skits, most of them are songs. Song/skit; it was all part of the learning experience.
So - Which songs and/or skits were your favourites? Leave a comment and let me know.
This post was brought to you by the numbers 5, 14 and 31 and the letter G.
I remember them all well. Brings back lots of memories.
ReplyDeleteYou need to do a favorite Sesame Street songs. I liked the Oinker Sisters 'This is the way we walk' and Smokey Robinson running from the letter 'U'.
Sure, will look into it!!
ReplyDelete