Yes folks, Farmville, that social networking game on Facebook which has one million players (as of this past weekend) has got me gripped by the keyboard. And I've been gripped for about two (2) months now.
Farmville.
I finally gave in to all those invites from friends to play this online game. Give a sunflower a break. Social networking pressure is real and alive on Facebook. I only started playing to help a friend get a bigger farm. (How much harm could there be in that??!!) Little did I know that I too would desire a bigger farm and would soon be begging my friends and family to be my neighbours.
Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio. I grieve for my pre-farmville life.
Now I have conversations which contain sentences like: "A sheep ended up in my hot-air balloon."
What?? That's preposterous. You don't own a hot-air balloon, well not in real life. Nor do you own a sheep, not that I know of. What also makes that statement nutty is that the sheep came in the air balloon. Duh!!!
Often I have conversations which go like: "I need a bigger farm", and "I got up at 3am to harvest."
To these poor "farmers" I say: "You need a what? A bigger farm? Of course you need a bigger farm!!! (Silly rabbit.) And I would not be getting up at 3am to harvest. 5am, Yes. 3am, Definately NOT!!"
Are we crazy? No. Is this game addictive? Yes. Addictive as H-E-L-L.
So if you don't want to spend countless hours on a virtual farm completing tasks at indecent hours that you wouldn't do if you had a real farm, then do not, I repeat, do not play Farmville.
Too bad it is so much fun. To get you started on your way to Farmville addiction, here is a nice little video by Zynga, the creators of Farmville, introducing you to the game.
Aint it nice how they say "plant and grow with friends"? Aint that precious?? Sounds all honkey dorey and lovey dovey and stuff.
Trust me, you want a bigger, better farm than all your friends, with lots of trees, and lots of animals and lots of crops . And you want it now!! (Ooops my Farmville angst is showing.)
The website says: Grow delicious fruits and vegetables and raise adorable animals on your very own farm! Does not say anything about setting your alarm so that you get up from your Sunday nap just to harvest 2 hour strawberries (or raspberries or whatever). Nor does it say anything about rushing home from work to harvest 1 day sunflowers so that you can plant more 1 day sunflowers because they are so darned profitable.
How many hours have you spent/wasted on Farmville?
Have you argued with someone recently over which is better, Farmville or Barn Buddy/Farmpals/Li'l Green Patch?
Who else needs Farmville rehab?? Show of hands. Darn, I lost count at nine hundred thousand.
Trust me, if we spent as much time and attention to our real lives as we do to Farmville, the world might not be in the economic turmoil that it is in right now. Why? Because in Farmville, if you need to buy a big ole farmhouse you got to plant the crops and make the money first. I guess there is a lesson in Farmville for all of us.
Farmville.
I finally gave in to all those invites from friends to play this online game. Give a sunflower a break. Social networking pressure is real and alive on Facebook. I only started playing to help a friend get a bigger farm. (How much harm could there be in that??!!) Little did I know that I too would desire a bigger farm and would soon be begging my friends and family to be my neighbours.
Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio. I grieve for my pre-farmville life.
Now I have conversations which contain sentences like: "A sheep ended up in my hot-air balloon."
What?? That's preposterous. You don't own a hot-air balloon, well not in real life. Nor do you own a sheep, not that I know of. What also makes that statement nutty is that the sheep came in the air balloon. Duh!!!
Often I have conversations which go like: "I need a bigger farm", and "I got up at 3am to harvest."
To these poor "farmers" I say: "You need a what? A bigger farm? Of course you need a bigger farm!!! (Silly rabbit.) And I would not be getting up at 3am to harvest. 5am, Yes. 3am, Definately NOT!!"
Are we crazy? No. Is this game addictive? Yes. Addictive as H-E-L-L.
So if you don't want to spend countless hours on a virtual farm completing tasks at indecent hours that you wouldn't do if you had a real farm, then do not, I repeat, do not play Farmville.
Too bad it is so much fun. To get you started on your way to Farmville addiction, here is a nice little video by Zynga, the creators of Farmville, introducing you to the game.
Aint it nice how they say "plant and grow with friends"? Aint that precious?? Sounds all honkey dorey and lovey dovey and stuff.
Trust me, you want a bigger, better farm than all your friends, with lots of trees, and lots of animals and lots of crops . And you want it now!! (Ooops my Farmville angst is showing.)
Check out their website http://www.zynga.com/games/index.php?game=farmville
The website says: Grow delicious fruits and vegetables and raise adorable animals on your very own farm! Does not say anything about setting your alarm so that you get up from your Sunday nap just to harvest 2 hour strawberries (or raspberries or whatever). Nor does it say anything about rushing home from work to harvest 1 day sunflowers so that you can plant more 1 day sunflowers because they are so darned profitable.
How many hours have you spent/wasted on Farmville?
Have you argued with someone recently over which is better, Farmville or Barn Buddy/Farmpals/Li'l Green Patch?
Who else needs Farmville rehab?? Show of hands. Darn, I lost count at nine hundred thousand.
Trust me, if we spent as much time and attention to our real lives as we do to Farmville, the world might not be in the economic turmoil that it is in right now. Why? Because in Farmville, if you need to buy a big ole farmhouse you got to plant the crops and make the money first. I guess there is a lesson in Farmville for all of us.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThe previous post was deleted by request of the poster.
ReplyDelete