Saturday, August 1, 2009

Eating Healthy meets Big Rock

Healthy Snacks, Pic-o-de-Crop Finals and Christa

Let me begin by saying that Sunflower needs to drop a few pounds and Christa doesn't. So when I realised that Christa (of The View According to Christa) had invited herself over to watch the pic-o-de-crop finals I informed her that I am eating healthy food (no chips and dip, greasy chicken and chips etc) and would be serving popcorn as a snack. Fine, says Christa, she is down wid dat.

So sometime before intermission I ask a sleepy Christa if she wanted some popcorn-
Sunflower: Hey you want popcorn?
Christa: No.
Sunflower: Great, I'll go make some.

So I go off to fire up my Orville Redenbacker's air popcorn popper that I did gone an' buy from DaCosta Mannings last weekend for $99. Yes folks, eating healthy in Barbados is not cheap. The air popper pops the corn... with air, and does not use oil. You have to melt the butter and pour it on afterwards if that is desired. So having tried it out the weekend before, I felt confident that I had mastered the technique:
  • Step 1 - Pour popcorn in machine up to maximum line
  • Step 2 - Place bowl in front machine to catch popped corn
  • Step 3 - Plug in
  • Step 4 - Wait
Got it. All of five (5) minutes later the popped corn was ready. No salt, no butter, just popped corny goodness. I return to my seat in front the television -

Sunflower: Popcorn is ready, have some.
Christa: I don't want any popcorn.
Sunflower: What! Wha' da you mean you doan want none?
Christa: I said I didn't want any.
Sunflower: You gonna make me eat this all by myself?

Christa: (Silence)

Explains why Christa is not the one on the diet. So I start to eat the popcorn, making the wonderful crunchy noises that one makes when eating freshly popped popcorn. Soon Christa was intrigued:

Christa: Can I have some?
Sunflower hands her the bowl: Sure
Christa takes a fist full of popped corn, throws it into her mouth and starts to cough.
Christa: This is the worst!! This tastes awful!!
Sunflower: I know. Tastes like rock stone.
Christa continues eating (and complaining): Did I mention that this is bad? I would like to get the taste of this horror out of my mouth. Thank you Bimshire Post for the totally disgusting popcorn.
Sunflower (sarcastically): You're welcome!!

See why you can't invite bajans to your house!!! Like Salt said, they be coming into your house, smiling in your face and talking bad 'bout yuh behind yuh back. Well, to Christa's defense she was talking bad in front my face so I have to give her that.

Still, the audacity!!! Some people are just not satisfied.

Sunflower then eats a slice of cake.

Christa (hijacking this post and doing some uninvited “guest blogging”) : Sunflower forgot to mention that when Christa “invited” herself to Sunflower’s house, Sunflower rudely said “You better bring your own snacks. I don’t eat junk anymore.”

Shocked silence.

Christa: “You mean there will be no snacks. Last year there was pizza, chicken wings, cake, cookies, nuff drinks.”

Sunflower: sounding slightly chastised and embarrassed. “O.K. I can do some air popcorn. It will be yummy and healthy. But no more snacks. I need people to invite me to their house and stop eating me out” Not so subtle Hint. Hint.

Christa: O.K. Great. I like popcorn.

And then she tasted the horror that is unsalted, unbuttered air popcorn. Blechhh!.

Sunflower again. So the moral of this story is two-fold:
  1. Guests must bring their own snacks and shouldn't complain when others are trying to eat healthy food. (That means you, Christa!!)
  2. Sunflower should find better tasting healthy snacks to feed "guests".
Fruit anyone??

3 comments:

  1. Sunflower, you need to surround yourself with people that can assist with your weight-loss challenge.

    You also need to find healthy food that tastes good or else you will find yourself taking one step forward and two steps back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any suggestions besides fruit, yogurt and granola bars?? I am looking for healthy snacks in Barbados which are not expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question because that's all I can think of.

    I had a cousin visiting about 2 years ago and she was into eating super healthy and I went shopping with her a day and let me tell you it was so very expensive.

    She bought a loaf of bread for $20.

    ReplyDelete